Safety & SecurityPlease comply with all requests from security staff immediately. We ask that you observe the following rules:
- Silence cellular phones and pagers in the museum.
- Do not touch the art. Dirt and natural oils from our hands can damage even the strongest-seeming works.
- Do not smoke anywhere in the building.
- Do not bring in food or beverages. Food and drink from Cafe Asia must be consumed in the cafe.
- Check all backpacks, umbrellas and parcels larger than 12” by 12” by 12” at the Coat Check.
- Dress appropriately. Shoes and shirts are required.
SketchingPencil sketching is permitted in the permanent galleries. Sketching may be prohibited in special exhibitions, which feature works on loan to the museum. Please check with staff.
PhotographyStill photography in the permanent galleries (second and third floors) is permitted if done for personal, noncommercial use and with a hand-held camera. The use of flashes, tripods or video cameras is prohibited.
Photography is not allowed in some special exhibitions. Even if they’re photography exhibitions.
You can’t sell, reproduce, or distribute any photographs you take in the museum without written permission from the Asian Art Museum.
If you wish to request an image or special dispensation from the museum, see the Photography and Image Rights page.